Tuesday, September 4, 2012

#RNC: The Way Twitter is Covering #election2012




Sandhya Kambhampati 
sjkambhampati@gmail.com
@sandhya__k

What makes this #election different from the others?

In 140 words or less: 
Someone that doesn’t have cable (like myself) can live stream from @YouTubePolitics  & watch Twitter: getting full media coverage.

The best way I’ve found to do this is #RNC search or  use Muckrack . Social media this election season is catching the young voters' eyes and it's not surprising why.

This week, I decided to take a closer look at  how @jimacostacnn  and @ethanklapper covered #rnc. Both of these reporters used Instagram, links to their prospective media outlets, videos, photos, commentary, and quotes.



Source:https://twitter.com/jimacostacnn

So why did I follow @jimacostacnn ?

I liked how Acosta gave his perspective from the RNC by tweeting that people were chanting because in my live stream I couldn't tell what they were saying. While I was listening the RNC coverage, I loved that I could not only gather the key points from the speeches, but also see his perspective as a correspondent and know about some parts of the convention that they don't necessarily air on the live stream such as the exact facial expressions of the Romney family.

My personal favorite: his usage of Instagram to show his followers exactly where he was in the audience.


Source: https://twitter.com/jimacostacnn 

Klapper, unlike Acosta had a different way of tweeting during the #RNC.  While he still tweeted quotes, I looked to his Twitter feed for humor.  His coverage allowed me to understand the speeches, but also feel as if I was right there with him, cracking jokes.  I also found it ironic when my stream froze and he also had the same problem. 




Source: https://twitter.com/ethanklapper



Overall,  both of these reporters have provided me with just a small part of my complete Twitter #election coverage. I've got my Twitter feed ready for complete access to the good, the bad and the photos and videos of both parties. 
Do you? Tweet @sandhya__k and let me know who you're following. 

No comments: