Monday, October 20, 2008

CNN.com: Joe the Plumber Makes the A List

by: Julie Hartz
jh101105@ohio.edu


Three words I never thought would bother me now make me want to throw a glass at any TV that blares them. "Joe the Plumber." Joe the Plumber has accomplished a lot in his life. He's obviously, a successful plumber, he's established himself as a world figure, and he almost made me smash a TV during the final presidential debate on Wednesday.

I understand the importance of politicians relating to 'normal people', but there IS such a thing as a dead horse. And beating it. And that is exactly what McCain and Obama did during the presidential debate.



You can watch the full video of Joe Wulzerbacher questioning Obama's tax policy here, which is what prompted the hot topic for the debate:



Well, looking into the infamous Joe, I decided to investigate some articles about him. I was surprised to find that he makes about $250,000 or more a year. CNN got a chance to talk to him about the debate and his huge role in it.



But what kind of effect has this phenomenon had on McCain and Obama's campaigns? It's actually brought a whole different interest and participation in voters. At campaign rallies across the nation, attendees are now going by "Rose the Teacher", "Phil the Bricklayer", and so on and so forth.

No comments: